Traveling in Japan: Kobe

Kobe is known for, among other things, being Japan's preeminent port city. However, by the numbers, Kobe has dropped to being Japan's 4th busiest port after a 1995 earthquake demolished the city. Despite this, it was one of the first cities to open up to the West for trading after Japan's long period of isolation with the Western world and continues to be an economic center in Japan as it is the home to many of Japan's largest corporations, such as Kawasaki and Kobe Steel. After I arrived, I walked around their Harborland area which is a recreational area apart from the great number of imposing shipyards and large corporate buildings that litter the coast of Kobe.

As a result of being one of the first Japanese cities to trade with Western powers, there are lingering relics of the West's footprint in the city. Most visible is the Kitano area where foreign diplomats lived in somewhat ostentatious houses. These houses are now open for tours. On my only full day in Kobe, I briefly walked around the area to admire the houses. One of the houses was destroyed by the 1995 earthquake, and it was left in a state of disrepair as a sort of memorial.




Before I walked around the downtown and Kitano areas, I had actually visited a couple of sake breweries (note: what we call "sake" is actually "nihonshu" which literally translates to "Japanese alcohol". "Sake" is the Japanese word for "alcohol". Thus, our calling "nihonshu" sake is a misnomer). Kobe is known for being one of the most important sake producers in Japan. This has to do with a number of factors, but two of the most important interrelated factors are the unique geographical climate for growing rice (Kobe is situated between mountains and the coast) and their access to clean, fresh mountain water. The main claim to fame for the sake industry in Japan is that Fukuju Brewery's Junmai Ginjo sake was served at the banquet when a Japanese man won the Nobel Peace Prize. Unfortunately for me, many of the breweries were closed when I visited since it was so close to the New Years holiday. Nonetheless, two breweries were open, so I briefly visited them and had a couple thimblefuls of sake after touring their premises. One of those breweries was indeed Fukuju. I haven't drunk a whole lot of sake in Japan, but I was very impressed with the samples I tasted at Fukuju and Kikumasanume breweries.




After leaving the Kitano area, I took a bus to Mount Maya. My hostel, Guesthouse Maya (yes, named after the mountain), has free passes for the mountain's cable car, so I decided to take advantage. Mount Maya is famous for having one of the best night views in Japan. I arrived at the top of the mountain around 4:30 p.m., and by the time 6:30 p.m. rolled around, not only was it extremely cold, but there was a beautiful view of the city all lit up. Since Kobe is part of the larger Kansai metropolitan area, I could also see Osaka from Mount Maya.





That essentially was all the time I had allotted for Kobe. I thought about eating some of Kobe's famed beef, but the price tag on even very small portions caused me to shudder involuntarily.

I truly think that Kobe would be a great place to live in Japan. However, it's one of those places that unfortunately does not have a lot to offer in terms of famous tourist attractions. One full day seemed like a good amount of time to visit. However, there were a few mountains (besides Maya) that were easily accessible for hiking and recreation that would have been nice to tackle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Akihabara and Foot Traffic

Lesson Planning - Formal Complaints

Why is "Why?" So Hard for East Asian EFL Students?